Recommended Reference Books for Merced County/California History
- Beck, Warren & Haase, Ynez. Historical Atlas of California. University of Oklahoma Press. 1974.
- Cabezut-Ortiz, Delores. Merced County: The Golden Harvest. Windsor Publications, Northridge, CA. 1987.
- **Carson, Pat. Gustine: Gem of the Valley. 1990.
- Clark, George W. History of Merced County. County Schools Office, Merced, CA. 1979.
- Donley, Michael, et al. Atlas of California. Pacific Book Center, Culver City, CA. 1979.
- Elliott and Moore. History of Merced County, California with Illustrations. Reprint by California History Books, Fresno. 1974. Originally Published 1881.
- Guinn, Jim. History of San Joaquin Valley. Chapman Publishing Co. Chicago. 1905.
- **Johnson, et al. The Great Central Valley: California’s Heartland. University of California Press. 1993.
- **Kirby, Robert E. Early Mine, the Summer of 1928: An American Family History 1634 to 1928. Gateway Press. Baltimore. 1996.
- **Lapp, Rudolph M. Blacks in Gold Rush California. Yale University Press, New Haven. 1977.
- **Lavender, David. California: Land of New Beginnings. University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln. 1972.
- **Lewis Publishing Company. A Memorial and Biographical History of the Counties of Merced, Stanislaus, Calaveras, Tuolumne and Mariposa, California.Originally Published 1892. Reprint 1980, for McHenry Museum of Art & History, Modesto by Pioneer Publishing Company.
- **Mayfield, Thomas Jefferson. Indian Summer: Traditional Life Among the Chionumne Indians of California’s San Joaquin Valley. Heydays Books, Berkeley. 1993.
- **McDevitt, Ray. Editor. Courthouses of California: An Illustrated History. Heydays Books, Berkeley. 2001.
- **Merced County Business Directory, 1884-85. Reprinted by Merced County Historical Society. 1989.
- Outcalt, John. History of Merced County, California with a Biographical Review of the Leading Men & Women of the County who Have Been Identified With Its Growth & Development From the Early Days to the Present. Historic Record Co., Los Angeles. 1925.
- **Preston, Brenda. Andrew Davidson Firebaugh & Susan Burgess Firebaugh: California Pioneers. Rio Del Mar Press. 1995.
- Radcliffe, Corwin. History of Merced County. A. H. Cawston, Publisher, Merced. 1940.
- **Robinson, W. W. Land in California: The Story of Mission Lands, Ranchos, Squatters, Mining Claims, Railroad Grants, Land Script, Homesteads. University of California Press, Berkeley. 1948. Reprint 1979.
- **Santos, Bob. Azoreans to California: A History of Migration and Settlement. Alley-Cass Publications. 1995.
- Smith, Wallace. Garden of the Sun. Max Hardison Publishing, Fresno. 1939.
- **Wing, Kathleen Kong & Greenlee, Carolyn Wing. Inside the Oy Quong Laundry. Earthen Vessel Productions, Inc. 1995.
- **Wing, Thomas W. & Greenlee, Carolyn Wing. Son of South Mountain & Dust. Earthen Vessel Productions, Inc. 1999.
- **Lim, Sarah. Greetings from Fountain City: Historic Postcards of Merced. Merced County Historical Society, Merced, CA. 2002.
- **Sawyer, Charles.The Road Over: Central Point - Old Los Banos Pacheco Pass. Milliken Historical Society, Los Banos, CA. 2001.
- **Sawyer, Charles.One Man Show: Henry Miller in the San Joaquin. Milliken Historical Society, Los Banos, CA. 2003.
- **Bare, Colleen Stanley.Pioneer Genius: Charles Henry Huffman. Merced County Historical Society, Merced, CA 2003.
** these books are available in the museum’s bookstore.
Hours are Wednesday - Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Call (209) 723-2401 for information.